As a first step towards stronger collaboration on higher aquaculture & fisheries education, 8 leading Asian aquaculture & fisheries institutes have established a consortium.
The consortium currently consists of:
- Universitas Airlangga, Indonesia
- Universiti Malaysia Terengganu, Malaysia
- Universiti Sains Malaysia, Malaysia
- Kasetsart University, Thailand
- Prince of Songkla University, Thailand
- AIT, Thailand
- Rajamangala University of Technology Srivijaya, Thailand
- Nong Lam University, Viet Nam
The members of the consortium strive at better communication on their research and make a start with staff and student exchange. In this context, from december 6 to 8, 2012, the second International Fisheries Symposium was organised in Can Tho University, highlighting each other's PhD research.
At this occasion, a VC discussion was held with members of the ASEM Aquaculture workpackage on education and with John Bostock, the current coordinator of AquaTNET. On the agenda was a mutual introduction and exploring synergy between the consortium, ASEM Aquaculture Platform and AquaTNET.
One of the outcomes was to create an inventory on existing Asian aquaculture education in English with the purpose to facilitate exchange within Asia and between Europe and Asia.